Sunday, May 29, 2011

Coconut bread, my own version

Remember the coconut coffee cake / bread? I decided to make it again with a few tweaks. We keep having rainy days and this morning the house was 66 degrees in the warmest part. I refused to turn on the heat this late in the year. The obvious option was to do a little baking!

This is my recipe. Not the original copyrighted version.

In a large bowl, put:
3 tsp dried orange peel - add just enough water to rehydrate

Add:
2 1/2 C white flour
1 1/2 C white sugar
1 heaping Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 medium handfuls of shredded coconut, well toasted under the broiler

Mix, then add:
1 egg
1 1/2 C milk
2 Tbsp oil
1 glub vanilla (probably about 1 1/2 tsp)

Pour in a 9x5 (big) loaf pan that has been greased and floured. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.

It will be crusty with a soft, flavorful middle. The flavors blend really well, especially if you refrigerate the leftovers. It's a shame that Nathan doesn't like coconut. I'll be forced to freeze part of this and enjoy it for weeks to come. ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's a shame you don't live closer to me or there'd be no need to freeze!!!