Saturday, May 1, 2010

Coffee cakes - Toasted coconut & Orange-date

I needed to make treats for an event, so obviously I made new bread recipes!

I sent Nathan outside to take out his angst on an old cell phone and some walnuts.
The dried orange peel I purchased re-hydrated beautifully.
I went to Winco today and bought a few more ingredients - dates, prunes, and golden raisins.
This is the orange-date coffee cake. The consistency was like biscuit dough with a streusel topping. I multiplied the recipe by 1.5 because I didn't have an 11x7 pan...really, who does? Weird.
It was yummy! I think it needed more dates, but the orange flavor was great.
The toasted coconut coffee cake was actually a large loaf of bread.
I was out of vanilla and used almond extract, plus I'm sure I used the wrong amount of coconut. It called for a 3.5 oz can of coconut and I didn't know if that was by weight or volume, so I just guessed at the amount. Definitely a make-again recipe!


Also on the agenda today was a batch of breakfast hot pockets with ham, cheese, and eggs.
I know, they're not very pretty. I made them larger than usual. You can see how the biggest one compares to my handspan.
Dinner tonight is ham-potato soup and Thursday's rye bread. Mmm.

I'm tired.

2 comments:

Amy said...

The orange date cake looks delish! Another recipe I'd be interested in. By the way, I have some coconut in my pantry that isn't being used - Adam and I don't like it. If you're interested, let me know and I'll get it to you.

Jaime said...

Mmm...I love golden raisins.