Sunday, September 1, 2013

Banana-cherry-coconut bread

The problem of being a real vanilla extract snob (I like the flavor better than imitation) is that sometimes I take my vanilla to a friend's house to bake and accidentally leave it there.  So much for making chocolate chip cookies today!  Trying to think what could survive without vanilla, I looked in the fridge and freezer and decided to defrost some bananas and cherries for quick bread.  Here is the resulting recipe.


Banana-Cherry-Coconut Bread

3 C mashed bananas
1 C blended cherries (just chuck them in the blender and blend until fairly smooth)
5 large eggs (or 6 medium)
1 3/4 C sugar
5 1/4 C flour (I used part white flour/part soft white wheat flour)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
shredded coconut if desired (I think I put about a cup, loosely packed)

Mix everything up and grease 3-4 bread pans.  I couldn't decide on the remaining ingredients so I made three different kinds.  Pan #1, no coconut, a little brown sugar on top.  Pan #2, a middle layer of butterscotch chips, mini chocolate chips, and brown sugar.  Pan #3, a middle layer of candied orange peel and brown sugar.


Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out mostly clean.  Enjoy!


I honestly can't decide which one I like best - orange peel or chocolate chips.  Mmm.


Shared on:

1 comment:

Lena said...

Are those cherries from your tree? Now you can come over and share some with me :) It looks and sounds delicious!!