Saturday, July 17, 2010

Bran-buttermilk muffins / Bran bread

Two new recipes today and they both involve bran. I actually started out with the bread but decided bran muffins would be yummy, and sure enough there was a recipe in the bread cookbook.

The Bran-Buttermilk Muffins are definitely a make-again. Sarah and I just split one fresh out of the oven, slathered with margarine (which I don't normally have in the house, but my sister left behind some food). YUM! I used half white, half wheat flour, so they wouldn't be too heavy. I'll be throwing them in the freezer, since that's my goal today, to re-stock the freezer.

RECIPE FROM BETTER HOMES & GARDENS (R): HOMEMADE BREAD COOKBOOK (C) 1973. USED WITH PERMISSION FROM MEREDITH CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. You may not download or re-post this recipe to other websites or blogs. More recipes available at www.bhg.com/recipes.

BRAN-BUTTERMILK MUFFINS
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups whole bran cereal
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Add buttermilk to bran; let stand till absorbed. Cream sugar, shortening, and egg till light. Stir thoroughly the remaining ingredients and 1/2 teaspoon salt; blend into creamed mixture alternately with bran mixture. Stir just till combined. Fill paper bake cups 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 22 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.


For the Bran Bread, I actually used all whole wheat flour, even though it called for white. It was pretty while it rose, all speckled with bran. I was worried it would be too heavy with all wheat flour and sooo much bran.
But then I sliced a piece so I could take a picture and finish this post. Oh my gosh. TO DIE FOR. It's squishy, sweet, and flavorful. I seriously just want to slather slice after slice with butter, honey, or jam, and chow down.


Today was a major success in the kitchen. Who knew fiber could taste so good?

1 comment:

Amy said...

Speaking of bread fresh out of the oven, that pumpkin bread was delicious. I couldn't resist cutting a slice right then and having it. Thank you so much for thinking of me on my birthday. I felt really loved yesterday.