Sunday, April 11, 2010

Dixie cornmeal foldovers

I baked way too much bread last week! On Monday, I cooked a ham in the crockpot. On Thursday, I took the saved broth and some of the ham, and made bean soup. It was so flavorful from the broth that it didn't need my usual generous dose of experimental seasonings. I also put celery, onion, white beans, and canned tomatoes in it.

I made Dixie Cornmeal Foldovers to go with the soup. Before I tasted them, I had written them off as a never-again recipe because they were too much work. They're basically biscuits, but rolled thin, folded over, and brushed with butter. I'm not sure if it was the sour cream or what, but they tasted great! I think the extra steps are worth the yum-factor.


RECIPE FROM BETTER HOMES & GARDENS (R): HOMEMADE BREAD COOKBOOK (C) 1973. USED WITH PERMISSION FROM MEREDITH CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. You may not download or re-post this recipe to other websites or blogs. More recipes available at www.bhg.com/recipes.

DIXIE CORNMEAL FOLDOVERS

Stir thoroughly 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal. Cut in 1/4 cup shortening till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Blend together 1 beaten egg and 3/4 cup dairy sour cream; stir into dry mixture just till dough clings together. Knead gently on lightly floured surface (10 to 12 strokes).

Roll or pat dough to 1/4-inch thickness; cut with floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Crease biscuits just off-center with back of knife; fold over so top portion overlaps bottom. Moisten edges with water; seal. Brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Bake on greased baking sheet at 425 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Makes 20 to 24.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Mmmm...brushed with butter.