Saturday, March 15, 2008

A month early!

I hate filing taxes, I really do. I've always done it by hand because I figured if my mom could do it with all her self-employment taxes, I could too. When I was growing up, tax time meant my mom took up the entire living room floor for a few days and she hated every minute of it.

My usual method is to figure my taxes as soon as I get all the paperwork, then fail to file until the last possible minute, even if I'm getting a refund. After messing up two years in a row (the first time meant a nasty-gram from the IRS and lots of tears as I scrounged for the $$, and the second time meant a refund, woo-hoo!), I decided I was done.

Anyway, I tackled it today with an online tax prep site, Tax Act. I'm officially recommending them because it was the most painless thing ever and it didn't cost an arm and a leg like some of the other options I researched. I owe less than I was dreading based on an online estimate earlier this year, so the $$ I was saving can go toward a better cause, and the state refund will hopefully be on its way soon.

It's 8:00 a.m. and now I can spend my Saturday on better things, like cleaning, Sharing Time, and a baby shower for my sorta-sister this afternoon!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

All I can say is TURBO TAX.

I recommend them and they just came out this year with a free version online and that is how I filed.

It went directly into my checking acct.

It was SWEET!