Sunday, February 8, 2015

I'm only alone if I choose to be

This weekend was stake conference (church meetings where multiple congregations come together).  Last night was the adult session.  As I pulled into the parking lot, I saw multiple couples walking in holding hands.  I was instantly very aware of my single status. It's unusual for me to struggle with this at all.  I'm very happy with my life.  Last night, though, I felt like an outsider walking into that chapel.  I saw the neighborhood grandpa and his wife, and they made room for me to sit.  I mentioned the single-status-reminder to him, and bless his heart, he reached out and held my hand for a second.  We had a good laugh about it.  After the meeting, two couples decided to go out for pie and invited me.  I declined, because I needed to do more homework, but it was nice of them to make me feel included.

Lesson learned: I'm only alone if I choose to be. I have a great support system.

Today I had a headache and I had to force myself to go to stake conference, because it's always worth it. The stake president said how great it was to see everyone there with their families, and my immediate response was positive.  I realized that yes, I was there as a family!  Either as a family of one or with my ward family.

I heard so many things that touched my heart this weekend, both spoken words and thoughts that came as a result of being in the right place at the right time.  It would have been so easy to turn around and leave last night, or to stay in bed today, but I was blessed as a result of making the right choice.

So yeah.  My life kinda rocks.

3 comments:

Lena said...

We love you, Cherish! I'm always happy to hold your hand :) It's not the same but if you ever need a sister from another mother to talk to, just knock my door :)

Amy said...

Love, love this post. You are awesome. I am still missing those stake conferences. We just had ours a couple of weeks ago and it's just not the same. So glad you were able to go to all of it.

Unknown said...

Good job sister friend. Glad you stayed.