Thursday, May 9, 2013

International Candy Exchange

I know, I'm really behind on blogging.  My semester ended last night and I hope to do a little catching up.

My friend Carolin, who lives in Germany, occasionally sends me a little care package of my favorite European chocolate.  One day last year we were chatting and she mentioned that she misses Reese's PB cups and her kids like Swedish Fish candy.  Really?  All that fantastic quality European chocolate and you miss lousy (in comparison) American chocolate?  I bought some and planned to mail a little care package.  Yeah...that was in December.  Finding the right forms to ship internationally...getting to the post office...that didn't happen.  

One day in March, I found out that someone from my department was flying to the Germany area office where Carolin works, and was leaving that afternoon. Carolin was really stressed about the international visitors because it meant big changes at her workplace.  I ran to the store, bought PB cups and Swedish Fish and a perfect greeting card, and gave them to my care-package-delivery-agent.  

A few days later, I got an email from Carolin, showing me the chocolate that was coming my way in return.


More important than my delicious strawberry-yogurt filled chocolates was feeling her support and love.  I was undergoing some medical tests at the very moment I got her email, and it meant so much to me.  I'm grateful for my support system in life - for the friendships that survive distance and time.  

3 comments:

rebecca h jamison said...

That's so cool you guys exchange chocolate! I get to see my friend from Brazil next month when she comes to the MTC. I have to think of something to give her that won't be too heavy.

Lena said...

I have to agree with you that american chocolate sucks And Milka (the top one that your friend holds) is one of my favorite!!! Yum!

Unknown said...

I love this!!