Sunday, November 20, 2011

These holidays are looking mighty tasty!

Okay, it appears my thought of giving away pies isn't too crazy. I liked Amy's suggestion of chips and salsa and I might have to try that one year.

I've made my list of families (so far just 13, but I'll probably add a few) and chosen my pie recipes. I've also picked the pies for Thanksgiving (going to a friend's house) and our own holiday dinner (sometime in December). I'll share recipes and photos as we go.

Most importantly, my stash of butter has been re-stocked! With higher dairy prices, I haven't seen a good butter sale in months. I bought a pound of butter at a lousy sale once, just to survive, but mostly we've gone without butter. Now that it's time for holiday sales, I was hoping for my previous stock-up price of $1.67/lb but I knew that was unlikely. I settled for $1.99 (I've since seen $1.88 but not at a close store) and guesstimated how much to buy. I decided 10 lbs would get me through the holidays and then 2 lbs a month for the rest of the year. I'm hoping 32 lbs will last me until next year's good sale.

I'll end up making some cookies and definitely some pumpkin bread (recipe here), especially since I found cinnamon chips on sale.



What new things are you baking this year?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice formatting. :) I hope I'll be tasting some of this baking yumminess. :)

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

You got a great price compared to ours in California. Good idea to stock up for the year. Butter freezes so well. Thanks for visiting me and following too. Have a great week and a Happy Thanksgiving.