Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Apples & peaches (second round)

We were given peaches and Nathan wanted to eat them fresh, so we enjoyed lots of peaches and I froze 2 gallon bags of slices. Yum!

Our free apples were a lot smaller (and pretty wormy) this year so I wasn't able to do apple slices. I did my best to appreciate and use them though, even with quite a few blisters I acquired from the apples following the pears so closely.

I've been trying a lot of new canning recipes this year, so I tried my hand at jelly. I made lemon-mint-apple jelly (using both lemon mint and apple mint), but it was a no-pectin recipe and obviously I did something wrong. I didn't feel like re-processing it so I ended up with 5 pints of syrup. I tried it with herbal tea and it's very tasty!

I also made applesauce with brown sugar and cinnamon, and got 11& 1/2 quarts.


I'm amazed by the bounty we've had this year to can. I keep sharing what I've canned (either in trade for fruit or just because), and I keep getting more! We're very blessed.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Wow - that's a lot of applesauce. Adam and the boys picked pears, apples and grapes at my brother-in-laws, but I only got 3 quarts of applesauce, 2 pints of pear butter and 8 quarts of grape juice. I love the grape juice!

It's such a great thing to see the 'fruits' of our labors!