Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Pear bread

Last night I sorted through the pears and pulled out the ones that had to be used or had rotted. I decided to weigh the pears this year so I can have a better idea of how many we get. Last night - 17 lbs. So many had bad spots that I didn't get enough to can. I decided to make pear bread. My friend made it 1-2 years ago and really liked it. I found a recipe and adapted it to what I had on hand.


I substituted mashed pears for most of the oil, because I had a lot of pears and very little oil. I used part white/part wheat flour, almond extract, and shorted the spices (sadly). I normally have a very heavy hand with spices but I was almost out. Nathan and Sarah said it's tasty but next time should definitely be spicier. It looks pretty though! I froze 4 loaves.
I'm now out of:
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Cloves
Vanilla
Almond extract

And almost out of:
Butter
Oil

That's a tragedy in this house. Nathan even offered to donate some of his fun money to the grocery budget so I could restock, since most of his snacks depend on me baking yummy things.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

The pear bread looks great! You better stock up your spices girl, autumn is almost here and you'll need them! :) Thanks for trying my recipe, so glad you liked it!

Jaime said...

Hahahah!! That's so funny!! I can't believe he'd donate some money. And I can't believe you're out of that stuff!! it looks good!!

Danna said...

I love how you always say something like, "I adapted to what I have on hand"! :) It always makes it way more intresting than just a plain old recipe post! :) Love ya!

Amy said...

I have lots of vanilla - you should swing by and refill your bottle - remember I bought the gallon from the Honeyville order. I will just have to pull it out from under the bed food storage.