Monday, March 19, 2012

St. Patrick's Day dinner

Our St. Patrick's Day dinner with our friends improves a little each year.  I made Irish soda bread last year, but when I looked into it again this year, I found out two things.  1) Authentic soda bread doesn't contain currants or sugar.  2)  It would also have been more like brown bread, with soft whole wheat flour (low gluten) rather than all white flour.  You can see it didn't turn out very pretty but it tasted good with butter.  (Recipe here)


I looked up authentic Irish desserts and found "fool" listed.  I've heard of a dessert called "fool" but never knew what it was.  Turns out it's fruit puree mixed with fresh whipped cream.  I made blueberry fool (recipe here) and oh my goodness, it was tasty.  I added a little almond extract too.   The picture doesn't do it justice.  You have to taste it.


Along with corned beef, cabbage, mashed potatoes, and apple beer (totally non-alcoholic, like sparkling cider), it was a great meal.

3 comments:

rebecca h jamison said...

Looks fun. I'll have to try out a fool recipe. We usually do the corned beef thing, which I guess isn't authentic. My mom used to make soda bread when she was on a yeast-free and sugar-free diet. She never had to worry about us eating her bread, that's for sure.

Unknown said...

So jealous of your meal!!!

Amy said...

So where did you get the apple beer? We really like it and I think I've bought it a Macey's in the past. I haven't seen it lately, but I also haven't been searching for it either.