Sunday, August 22, 2010

Thank goodness for homemade food!

I was doing really great at blogging almost every day, and then I hit burnout on life in general this week. Somewhere between cooking so much, work being stressful, and being constantly busy, I got worn out. Last night I warned Nathan that I was tired and I intended to spend Sunday, my day of rest, NOT cooking.

Homemade things (frozen or canned) we've enjoyed this weekend:

Me:
Apricot butter
Milkshakes with apricot sauce and frozen bananas
Canned peaches w/cinnamon sticks (these actually turned out really good!)
Refried beans (from the freezer)

Nathan:
Beefy cornbread muffins
Waffles
Canned peaches w/cinnamon sticks
Pizza roll-ups
Chocolate-orange rolls

I'm tired. I suddenly realized today the pears HAD to be picked tomorrow. Then we had a big storm and I chose to pick up the windfalls tonight, so they won't start spoiling by tomorrow. I'm so glad I did, because I got about 15 pounds worth. I'll probably be canning pear sauce in a week.

I just got off the phone with my MIL and we're already planning Christmas. Juggling separate gatherings with my sisters, my parents, my grandma, our friends, Nathan's immediate family, and Nathan's extended family requires advance coordination.

Work has been stressful and very busy. We've had various church commitments. Nathan is trying to go back to school. I found out Friday night that one of my friends is pregnant and it's hitting me hard. We're having occasional days that feel like fall, and so I randomly get overwhelmed with this crazy fear that winter is coming. I have such a hard time in winter. It's cold and dark and depressing. I feel dumb for being worried about winter when we're still having 90 degree days, and Nathan laughed when I told him, which I can understand.

We're SO blessed and so many things are going right in life. I'm just tired right now. There's a Chick-Fil-A grand opening this week within a 45-minute drive, so I've taken time off work. We're going together and hoping to be in the first 100 so we can both win free meals. I'm looking forward to it. It will be a nice break in my week. Maybe I'll just sleep all day in the tent. :-)

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Don't ever feel dumb!! You're just such a worker ant. I'm the grasshopper!! Sorry I haven't been available to talk this weekend! Love you much!!

Amy said...

So glad you are blogging so much lately - you make me smile.

Have fun at Chick-Fil-A - I'll look forward to some fun posts about it.

I agree with you about the weather. We walked home from Stake Conference yesterday and it was HOT! And then I had to wrap myself in a blanket outside last night. I don't love winter and fall seems to be way too short.

I thought of you at Stake Conference when Pres. Nudd challenged us to read the Book of Mormon in 30 days. I so enjoyed your testimony when you shared your experience of meeting that challenge for work. I might be calling you for encouragement to meet this challenge. Adam is working on downloading the scriptures so we can listen to them on our ipod. Guess what I'll be doing while I'm working out?

Danna said...

Cherish! ((((HUGS))))!! I know what it feels like to have everything pressing down at once, I too feel the "i'm not ready for winter" thing, mostly because having no clue where we will be, canning things packed away, a bum garden, and no $ for extra buying I feel like "what are we going to eat?"!! At least you won't have that worry! In CT during the winter I always had to search out any afternoon sun and sit in it, it is what saved me.
I know life can be rocky, ha ha, or down right jagged (those rocks get sharp), but remember you are loved. Both here and in heaven!
XO