Sunday, August 1, 2010

Repurposing leftovers

Remember how I cooked a chicken in the crockpot recently? Well after that, I cooked the carcass, gross innards, and dried onions into broth, using the water I had blanched celery in before freezing. I added some of the chicken, corn, green chiles, and I can't remember what else now, to make soup. The soup was a little too liquid-y so we were left with a lot of flavorful broth. So I took the broth (with bits of chicken and corn) and used it as the liquid in instant mashed potatoes. How's that for recycling? :P

Anyway, then you put globs of mashed potatoes on a cookie sheet, make a hole in the middle (make it bigger than you think it should be), and crack an egg in each. Bake at 350 degrees until the eggs are set (15-25 minutes?). Top with ketchup, BBQ sauce, gravy, salt, or whatever you want. It's an easy dinner.


I also had honey-cinnamon syrup left over from canning. I strained out most of the cinnamon and added lemon juice. It's tasty! Definitely a make-again.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Very very interesting. Glad it worked!